The most sensitive subject for men is their performance in the bedroom. The cultural expectation is that you’ll be a virile stud for your entire life. If, god forbid, you have any difficulties “getting it up” there must be something wrong with your masculinity.
Yeah, right. Unfortunately those expectations are both unreasonable and unfair.
How common is erectile dysfunction or ED? Take your age in decades and that’s the percentage of men your age with rigidity issues. For the math-challenged this means:
50% ED by age 50
60% need the little blue pill by age 60
70% would rather take a good nap then get busy by age 70
In other words, it’s going to happen to most of us. And we need not be ashamed.
However, once you and your partner start noticing performance problems, it’s time to stop and take a good look at your overall health. The most common explanation for ED is atherosclerosis (fancy doctor term for hardening and clogging of the arteries). Yes, you’ve heard of this before. That’s because atherosclerosis also causes heart attacks and strokes.
Some studies estimate that once erection troubles begin, you’re at risk for a serious medical event within 5-10 years. Why is this? The smallest arteries to become clogged go to, wait for it…the penis. The 2nd biggest blood vessels to become blocked go to the heart and brain.
Do I have your attention now? Now, I don’t want you to think that if your main man below the belt is sleeping, you’re in God’s waiting room. Certainly not. Let’s focus on making some positive changes to your health. If you have the following medical conditions, then make sure you’re working with a primary care doctor you trust to treat them appropriately:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Rooting for Alabama (just kidding)
With lifestyle changes, you can, in some cases, reverse erectile troubles.
For those of you who may be saying, “I don’t have any of these problems! What else could be going on,” there are certainly numerous other causes of ED including:
- Low testosterone
- Previous surgery
- Previous trauma
- Nerve damage
Bottom line? Schedule a full evaluation with your doctor.
Regardless Of The Cause, Most men Just Want To Get Busy Again.
This is where we discuss THE PILLS. Here are my five rules of bro pills:
- Don’t waste your money on “Male Enhancement” pills. They do not work. And who knows what’s in them.
- Viagra, Cialis and Levitra are safe and do not cause heart attacks. Just make sure that your most vigorous exercise isn’t getting off the couch for a beer. It’s the physical stress of sex in some men that kills them, not the pills.
- Side effects from these medications are usually temporary and mildly unpleasant. You won’t get sausage fingers, lose function of your bowels, or have your business explode.
- Four hour erection!? Trust me you don’t want this and it’s rare with the pills anyway.
- These pills can be expensive. Ask about generic substitutes available through well-regarded compounding pharmacies.
If the pills work then great! Unfortunately for some men they need a little additional help. That’s when things get a little interesting.
- Vacuum erection device (The Penis Pump)
- Needle injections into the penis (yeah no way doc)
For motivated couples these options can allow for a very satisfying intimate experience. Now I certainly understand why pumps and needles are unwelcome in some bedrooms. This is a very personal decision based on quality-of-life.
When all else fails, there is surgery (gasp!). A penile prosthesis can be inserted internally within the erectile chambers allowing men to be hard as long as they want. You’ll put the fraternity boys to shame with this contraption. However this is for highly motivated men in whom the only other option is no more hanky panky.
Are you uncomfortable yet? I sure hope not! In today’s age of sensationalism and voyeurism, I’d like to be able to talk about “uncomfortable” but important topics like ED.
Questions left unanswered? Need a little help with a personal issue? Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll see if I can help.
Until then, men, please eat healthy, exercise and go see your doctor.
Your penis will thank you for it.